1. Gift Card – Look for one that you know they will use. If you aren’t sure, get one at a department store with a lot of options for them. You can also send Amazon gift cards right through email. Click here for the Amazon ones.
2. A Personal Letter – Even though most of us communicate by email or text these days, everyone still enjoys getting an old-fashioned letter in the mail. Take some time to write out what your friend means to you, stick it in an envelope, buy a stamp and use the USPS again.
3. Make a Top 10 List – Start at the top of the page with the phrase "Top 10 Things I Appreciate About John Smith.” Make your list. They will love reading what you see in them that makes you appreciate them and they will know you spent some time to write it out.
4. Send a Donation in Their Honor – If you know what their favorite charity is, send a donation in their name. Maybe it is their local church, a food pantry or a children’s ministry. Ask them and then send a donation. Ask the organization to send them a notification and let them know yourself as well.
5. Homemade Cookies – Nothing says thank-you like something you bake yourself. Make a batch of homemade cookies to drop by their office or home. Hint – Take them while they are still warm.
6. Breads – Speaking of homemade, make a bread (banana, cranberry nut etc.) and wrap it up in a nice foil and take it by. Make an extra and freeze it. Give that one too. They can pop it out when company shows up. Hint- If you don’t want to make the bread, check your local mega-mart bakery for their version. This also works for pies.
7. A Picture – Have a picture of you and your friend framed or made into a canvas print. Most drug stores like Walgreens or CVS have great prices for these and can have them done the same day. You can also have a calendar made if you have a lot of pictures. If you friend lives at a distance, they can pick it up at their local store in most cases. Here is a link to Walgreen's online Photo Gift Shop for some ideas.
8. A Bible – You can order a nice Bible or pick one up at a local bookstore. There are many options to choose from. Some are expensive and some are inexpensive yet very nice. Perhaps they would enjoy a good study Bible if they do not have one. This is truly a gift that bears fruit for years to come.
9. Take them out for coffee or frozen yogurt. This is a gift that is a treat for both of you. You’ll enjoy the occasion and they will too because you are together.
10. Invite them to a church service with you. If they do not have a church family, why not ask them to join you with yours? Take them to lunch or dinner afterwards and discuss it with them. This will make for great conversation. What better way to thank a friend than to introduce them to a relationship with God if they don't already have one?
What ideas do you have for letting someone know you appreciate them? Share them with us in the comment section below the other article options.
Other articles you may enjoy...
Pastor Bob Franseen, Pastor of Eagle Heights Baptist Church & Others